Monday, September 15, 2008

I Can't Believe All the Flooding...

It is worse than I imagined last night. We got more rain than the people in the south who experienced hurricane Ike. People are saying their rain guages are registering anywhere from 10.5 to 12.5 inches! So personally we were very lucky to only have a little water in the basement. It has all ready drained this morning except for one corner that typically stays wet when it rains. Hebron Schools and Thomas' preschool at the church are closed today due to backed up toilets and sinks. There were also some homes in Hebron that experienced sewage backups. Barb and Jim's yard flooded. They had apples, toys, etc. floating around. Some roads and a major highway are still under water and closed. The highway is scheduled to be open again late this morning. I hope it works out. What a mess!

It's lunch time now and I'm deciding what to make for dinner. I was able to save a large batch of rice I made over the weekend by mixing it with some cream of mushroom soup, leftover veggies, 3 cans of tuna, and salt and pepper to taste. It seems to be more appealing to the kids since they are now eating it for lunch. It sat untouched in the frig all weekend. Right now I'm leaning toward something simple like egg salad sandwiches for this evening. They seem to really like that around here!

I forgot to tell you that Jim, his boss, and some coworkers got to fly in a B17 bomber last week! He said that there are only twelve still able to fly. When he told me that I wondered if this was really a safe thing to be doing. It was a 30 minute flight. Part of it was over Lake Michigan! He said you wouldn't believe how big it is! There was water as far as you can see like an ocean! There were big ships out there too like you would see on the ocean. He returned safely and enjoyed the experience.

No comments: